Sunday, May 23, 2010

Week One: Done

With a "long" run of 3 miles today, I officially completed the first week of my base building program. It was actually more challenging than I had expected. Mentally I didn't really have the momentum expressed in my first blog post. Ever since I was a XC athlete I've believed that running is more a mental sport than a physical one, and I am very influenced by my mindset when I'm on a run. This week I just didn't really have it. The other factor is that I've been off for a month...I get very used to not having running as a part of my schedule. It can be stressful to try and find the time to get the run in, which is so ironic because in just a few weeks, when I am fully immersed in the training again, running will become the great stress release it truly is.

One frustration I had was that my watch, a Garmin Forerunner 60, wasn't accurately measuring my mileage. Luckily I spent some time researching online and was able to find the way to fix it (instead of going out and buying a more expensive GPS unit!) I've only had the watch for a few months but I have found it to be a very valuable running tool. I love the little things that can help on a run: a watch, a specific song, thinking what to post here, tracking mileage on a site like dailymile...it'd be nice to think all I need for a run is a pair of sneakers, but when I'm trying to conquer a marathon, I'm going to take all the help I can get!

Monday is a rest day, and then it's on to Week Two...

No comments:

Post a Comment