With running, as with life, it's the little things that often make all of the difference. In the past few weeks, this has been so true.
I'm loving celebrating the little achievements that ultimately add up to the huge success that is training for and running a marathon. Sticking with the plan. Increasing mileage, even when it's slight. Waking up early to run before work.
One morning last week the alarm went off and I was so tempted to skip the morning run. It was a small internal conflict, a side of me thinking, "I can just do it this afternoon." But I didn't let that side win. I got myself out of bed, got myself moving, and a half an hour later I was hitting the pavement. And it was great. Not the run, necessarily, but that persistence. In training I know I can often be my own worst enemy. It was really nice to defeat that doubt, that procrastination.
It's also the little things that keep me motivated. A new issue of Runner's World. Seeing the medal I will be given for completing the marathon. Learning that I'll get to celebrate on "Marathon Monday". There are so many huge motivations for running the marathon, but sometimes I get through a run just thinking about the little ones.
I'm in the middle of week 4 of my 15 week base building plan. This week I feel like I'm back "in the groove" of running; yesterday and today were the first runs that I would say that I felt "good" (no fatigue, mentally strong, body felt well), and when I hit 5 miles on Saturday I will feel like I'm inching my way back up into the longer distances. I'm well on my way, enjoying every moment of this experience, even the little ones.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment