I read so much about post-marathon blues that I wonder if my current state is a case of twisted self fulfilling prophecy. That, or it's just to be expected. When you come off the high of what was easily the most amazing personal accomplishment of your life, one that went off flawlessly, where else is there to go but down?
My aspirations for filling my newly gained free time with the pesky to-do's that haunt my frenzied mind fell flat. My can-do attitude got me to shovel in the midst of a blizzard, but it's pathetic if that's the most that momentum created. The energy boost I became accustomed to faded as the miles lapsed, and I've been needing and naps and an earlier bed time, sans that wonderful tiredness in my ligaments. In a word, a non-running life is awful.
We signed up for the Jersey Shore half marathon shortly after returning from our marathon vacation. I don't know if it's that my stubborn side couldn't handle another training program, or that any event would pale in comparison to the Disney Marathon, but I haven't been motivated. I will run it, but at what fitness level is yet to be seen.
The upside (as that must ALWAYS be found) is that I know this is all going on. One must acknowledge it if they are to change it...I've been suffering from this case of post-marathon blues, and all I want is to get back to the place I was during marathon training: mentally, physically, emotionally. As difficult as it's been to muster up the willpower to pound out a few miles, to resolve the commitment to stay consistent with training, I can't wait to reap the benefits of my running life. The bliss of a cool late morning on the Spring Lake boardwalk. Being lost in the nature around me on the Tow Path. The moment on a long run when you feel like you can go on forever. This is why I am a runner. Blues and all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment